Sendmail FC2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Nov 3 11:23:30 UTC 2004

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Now, for my next question.  The old mail server on the network is running
> Redhat 6.2, and was connected via a UUCP link.  linuxconf back in those
> days didn't handle the sendmail config very well, so I always had to tweak
> the sendmail.cf file by hand.  It contains (and still does, for this part
> of the hardware is still installed at the moment) the following lines:
>
>    DMfred.com
>    DSmirror
>    DNuucp-dom
>
> This means that all outgoing mail from that server is sent by uucp to a
> UUCP host (defined in the UUCP subsystem files) 'mirror' which acts as a
> smart-host for onward delivery.
>
> I want to have the old host (for the moment) forward all its outgoing
> mail onto the new server (the one we just got working above), so tried
> changing those lines to:
>
>    DMfred.com
>    DSmailgate
>    DNsmtp
>
> where mailgate is defined in /etc/hosts on that server.  All of a sudden,
> instead of being placed in the outgoing UUCP queue, all the mail is now
> held in /var/spool/mqueue with the legend (Deferred: No route to host)
>
> There is also a maillog entry saying:
>
>    to=jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:01:40,
>    xdelay=00:00:19, mailer=smtp, relay=relay-1.mail.demon.net.
>    [194.217.242.208], stat=Deferred: No route to host
>
> Demon Internet is the ISP concerned, and would be the destination once the
> email had reached the new mail server.  But I haven't allowed the LAN machines
> any real access to the 'Net (everything goes through proxies on the firewall)
> so it is right to say that it can't route directly to Demon's machine, but I
> can't see how the old server thinks that it should deliver it directly - why
> doesn't it just open the SMTP port on the new server and deliver it there ?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with UUCP setups so I don't really know what's
going on there. Is it not possible for you to generate a sendmail.cf from a
simple sendmail.mc file on that server, naming mailgate as the smart host?

I've always given Linuxconf a wide berth due to its habit of configuring open
relays.

Paul.