FC in non-gui

gillian gillian.bennett at celentia.com
Thu Nov 4 03:36:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 12:57, Sri Chav wrote:
> Can anyone explain why FC starts only in non-gui mode? How can I use FC in
> gui mode?
>

> Thanks
> -s-

> Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and
> more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx

Have a look at your /etc/inittab file. It is a text file that you can
edit using vi or whatever you want to use. Look for the lines:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:
    ^
this is what determins the runlevel your box will start in. If you have
a 3 where the 5 is in this line, then change it to a 5 and reboot your
box. It should start up in GUI mode then.

ta, gb