Problems with RHN Fedora Core 2

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Thu Nov 4 06:25:25 UTC 2004

windtim at libero.i wrote:

>Hi,
>     i've Fedora Core 2 and i'm trying to update my configuration with RHN. I've
>registered nyself on the site, tryed to connect toRHN either trough up2date from
>shell either trought the botton on GNOME desktop but in all cases it gives me
>the same errors "Temporary failure in name resolution". I'm behind a proxy and
>i've settted but connction to RHN fails yet. Can you help me? Thans a lot in advance

I really strongly recommend you use yum
- find your nearest mirror
- http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

- then update your /etc/yum.conf file with your mirror's base folder and
updates folder for your version of fedora
- now you can just run yum check-update from command line
- yum update <leave blank for all updates, or type package name for
specific update>
- yum install  <package name> for a package you haven't installed already

- I can't remember the command for removing a package but just go to man
yum for that one

I highly recommend yum, ever since I first had to learn how to use it, I
was totally surprised at how easy it is to learn compare to most package
management tools.  Also updating the yum.conf with the mirrors is really
easy.  ALWAYS USE A MIRROR or it will be slow and time out on you.  The
default servers are too slow.

Gerald
geraldt at telus.net