miss addressed mail

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 4 08:00:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 00:25, Richard E Miles wrote:
> The following is a mail header from from a miss addressed mail I received. The
> To: is "kent sykes <ibalycejaynew at attbi.com>. This is not for me. I am at
> r.godzilla at comcast.net. Why am I receving this mail?
> I would like to stop such mails. Is there anyway to do this? I would
> appreciate any help you can give me to prevent such mails?

It is certainly possible to write a procmail recipe to deal with all
mail that you call mis-addressed. However, you may find that it handles
more mail than you are expecting. Take for instance any message you
receive from this mailing list and look at the headers. You won't find
your address in either the To: or Cc: header. This is very common
behaviour for mailing lists, as you can do the same thing yourself by
using Bcc: for a recipient in your mail software when sending mail.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>