ide tape drive issues

dballester at kernpharma.com dballester at kernpharma.com
Thu Nov 4 15:13:24 UTC 2004

> I have a dell poweredge 600SC that was originally installed with
> Redhat 8.  I downloaded fedora core 2 and performed an upgrade to
> this system.  Before the upgrade the IDE tape drive worked fine with
> a SCSI emulator which comes compiled into the linux kernel by
> default.  After the upgrade I began to see the following error:
> root$ mt -f /dev/nst0 status
> /dev/nst0: No such device or address
> I ran the diagnostics and found that the tape drive is functioning
> properly.  At length I looked at the grub.conf file and found the
> following line:
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ /dev/ht0=ide-scsi
> and so I tried to access ht0.  This worked, but a little different

Hello:

      As far has I know FC2 comes with 2.6 kernel series, and this series
doesn't use SCSI emulation for emulated devices as CD-RW, for example. May
be is the same for the ide tape drive.

      To test it, try to comment /dev/ht0=ide-scsi in your grub.conf file
( make a backup of this file before, ok ? ;) )

let the line like this:
           kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/

And reboot with this configuration.

Search in /proc or /sys for something related to tape drive, surely you
will get the /dev attached to , or take a look to the  'cat
/var/log/messages | grep -i scsi '

HTH

David Ballester Montolio
GNU/Linux - Unices Sysadmin