How do I configure a new monitor?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 5 07:08:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, ejbjr wrote:

> I just had to move a machine running Fedora Core II to a different
> CRT display. It won't boot up right, because the sync on the monitor
> is wrong (actually it boots up fine, but can't display anything).

> At this point, I can boot the rescue disk, but I haven't been able
> to find the Xwindows config files, or any text-mode program to
> configure my system for a new monitor.  Is there any way to do this,
> other than reloading the OS from CD?

Boot by editing (e) the grub menu - and change the following boot options
- remove 'rhgb'
- add '3'
(press 'enter' after the edit, and 'b' to boot with changes)

Th machine should boot to runlevel 3 - which is console-only
text-mode.  Now as root, run 'system-config-display' and try selecting
the correct monitor from the options.

This should redo the /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the correct settings.

Satish