Yum repo compatibility

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Nov 5 17:53:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:

> Fredag 05 november 2004 10:14 skrev Dag Wieers:
> > If you find a compatibility problem, you should file a bug. Probably the
> > best place to report it is the freshrpms mailinglist:
>
> As it turns out I did not have a problem, it was only a non responding mirror
> as you so kindly pointed out to me. I am sorry you have to deal with idiots
> like this :-)

Well, your concern is a valid one. I should look into a more robust way
of synchronizing that would prevent this. If it happens it usually is for
a small time though.

On the other side, I believe Yum and apt should better handle situations
where packages are missing. Often they bail out and loudly complain of
something broken. If I was an enduser I would seriously doubt either the
software or the infrastructure. A missing package is not necessarily a
reason to break or to shout. It should be reported, sure, but it should
not cause much grieve.

The reason that these situations are frustrating for end-users is because
if something like that occurs and Yum or Apt won't work beyond that
they're stuck. And you stare at the blinking prompt and wonder what to do
with your time now that yum or apt does not work :)))

PS As a repository maintainer I would love to be able to remove packages
from a repository without necessarily needing to update the repository
metadata right away. It would give me more flexibility to act quickly when
necessary.