Sound in Fedora 2?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Nov 5 20:29:26 UTC 2004

eufordia wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings ha scritto:
>
>> We need more details!  Maybe an "lspci" or the information from your
>> /etc/sysconfig/hardware file from RH9 would be a good starting place.
>>
> "lspci" output:
>
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio
> (rev 12)
> 02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 06)

Yeup, 2 audio devices found.

> and extract from file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf (from Fedora 2, I haven't
> RH9, I don't know where I could find the old file or back-file):
>
> -
> class: AUDIO
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> driver: snd-ens1371
> desc: "Ensoniq|ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]"
> vendorId: 1274
> deviceId: 1371
> subVendorId: 1274
> subDeviceId: 1371
> pciType: 1
> pcidom:    0
> pcibus:  2
> pcidev:  0
> pcifn:  0
> -
> class: AUDIO
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> driver: snd-intel8x0
> desc: "Intel Corp.|82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio"
> vendorId: 8086
> deviceId: 2445
> subVendorId: 1695
> subDeviceId: 4001
> pciType: 1
> pcidom:    0
> pcibus:  0
> pcidev: 1f
> pcifn:  5
> -

Yeup, same 2 audio devices, along with the Linux supported driver names.

> do I have to insmod (or modprobe) them in by hand?
> (...of course!?  :-) )

Now all you should have to do is modprobe the drivers by name and sound
should work again (check your mixers to be sure that all the channels
are at proper volume settings and not muted).  WHen you are satisfied
with the settings, be sure to save them with "/usr/sbin/alsactl save".
Then make sure that you have entries similar to mine in your
/etc/modprobe.conf file:

> # AC-97 sound card (on motherboard)
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && \
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore > /dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store > /dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; \
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

You will need similar entries for your ES1371 sound card.  One card
should be -0-, the other -1-.

> Thank you for answer!

Good luck!

--