Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Dave Lester dlester at davenet.org
Sat Nov 6 14:17:44 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I have two machines running FC2.  One I upgraded from Redhat 9 --> FC1 --> FC2 and the $LANG environmental variable is set to

[root at pigpen root]# echo $LANG
en_US

On the other machine, I did a fresh install of  FC2 and  the $LANG variable on that is set to:

[root at linus ~]# echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

On the latter machine, whenever I do a man or look at other text files in vi,  I get some characters that are screwed up. That's why I'm assuming that it's the $LANG variable that's doing it.

Any guidance on fixing this is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Lester