Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Nov 6 17:27:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:17:44AM -0500, Dave Lester wrote:
> On the latter machine, whenever I do a man or look at other text files in
> vi, I get some characters that are screwed up. That's why I'm assuming
> that it's the $LANG variable that's doing it.
> Any guidance on fixing this is appreciated.

Others have answered with good answers to the question you actually asked,
but here's another observation -- the problem isn't necessarily that the
LANG variable is set incorrectly, but that something in your environment
can't handle UTF8 properly. UTF8 is an encoding for dealing with unicode
characters, and it's nice to have working as the world becomes more
interconnected.

The thing I'd look at first is your terminal program -- what are you using?