How is ntpd data used -

Markku Kolkka markkukolkka at kolumbus.fi
Sat Nov 6 22:21:36 UTC 2004

Bob Goodwin kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 6.
marraskuuta 2004 21:38):
> It's interesting [to me anyway] to note that the only thing
> that changed in readings taken at sleep 5 seconds and 1000
> seconds is the "jitter."

After 5 seconds ntpd has only 1 time sample from each server
(reach=1) and the jitter value is essentially meaningless. After
1000 seconds each server has been queried 5 times and ntpd is
starting to get an idea about the jitter values and the quality
of each server, and has chosen the reference server (marked by *
in the first column). Try ntpq again after letting ntpd run for
several hours (or days).

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi