Help diagnosing a lockup

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 04:10:25 UTC 2004

RoboticGolem wrote:
> I have a problem very similar to this.  Same problem, X seems to lock
> up, (dont have another machine to remote into with) the pointer moves,
> but nothing happens.  The caps/num/scroll lock lights dont change when
> you hit their respective buttons.  I, however, know that the system
> isnt locked as a shoutcast stream will continue to play, if I'm
> listening to a local playlist, same thing, it plays until the music is
> done then I'm stuck anyway.  I have almost a whole new system(because
> I've been trying to track this problem down), FX5200 (installed
> yesterday), Tyan Tiger MPX (Dual 1800+MP) about 2 months or so ago, a
> new power supply to go with.  Memtest will run with no errors
> indefinitely, and a cpu burnin proggy gives me no problems.  I also
> have a logitech mouse, but I am using the Explorer drivers.  I dont
> know what to do, I have FC2 with all of the yum updates available.
>
> If anyone has any idea's, it would be helpfull.
>
> -Matt
>

> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:56:16 -0500, Federico Tello Gentile
> <federicotg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Sadly I can't do a remote login here, this PC is not on a network.
>>I'll leave the memtest running eventually, but I never had this
>>problem running windows since I bought it, and it has been about 2
>>years.
>>I didn't try to insert a CD, but I will next time. The CD autorun is
>>not making the unit light flash ever.

If the other functions seem to still be working, except the GUI seems
frozen. You might have better fortune with FC3. I'm not sure what video
chipset your computer uses, but with a computer that has an Intel 865G
graphics controller, it locks up no longer. It used to with FC2 and it's
version of X. FC3T1 and its version of X were also bad. FC3T2 and FC3T3
worked well with X and no graphical problems.

I could use the terminals blindly or ssh into the system and check
processes or reboot, shutdown the system. X was dead, not locked up.
Whatever was on the display was there until the system rebooted.

Good luck with FC3.

Jim