Updating a kernel and ext3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 13:14:27 UTC 2004

Ali Hussnain Shah wrote:
> hi,
> i have switched successfully from debian to fedora2-x86_64 . afterwards
> i have updated my distro kernel from 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.8-1.521 with
> redhat update manager. Now whenever i boot with 2.6.8 the kernel boots
> root ext3 filesystem as ext2

How do you know it's being mounted as ext2?

Note that there are two root filesystems: one for the early bootup
environment (populated from the initrd file). That one *is* mounted as
ext2, since it isn't supposed to be changed: its contents will be thrown
away and recreated at next boot from the initrd file.

What does the output of mount tell you?

> and kudzu wants to uninstall some hardware
> devices, so currently i have to switch back to 2.6.5.

Which devices?

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Went to see the Rugby. Swansea are still sponsored
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | by EDS. They are still dropping the ball, fumbling