resolving localhost

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Mon Nov 8 13:37:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 06:09, GV wrote:
> I have an FC2 dual boot notebook (Dell D505) and when plugged in in my
> network (getting a dynamic IP) I can access localhost via my browser
> without any problem. This doesn't work in case I have no LAN connection
> (offline).
>
> Thanks for your help

Is you your /etc/hosts file looking like this?

($:~)- cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.xxx.xxx     gmike.5150wtwm.com

xxx has the IP for my LAN

Also this is in my /etc/named.conf

zone "localhost" IN {
        type master;
        file "localhost.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

With my /var/named/localhost.zone file looking like

(gufymike at gmike)(17/pts/28)(05:35:06:Mon Nov 08)-
($:~)- sudo cat /var/named/localhost.zone
$TTL    86400
$ORIGIN localhost.
@                       1D IN SOA       @ root (
                                        42              ; serial (d.
adams)
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

                        1D IN NS        @
                        1D IN A         127.0.0.1

That should do it.  If not the real experts here can help you.

--
Mike Ramirez <mike at thexxxhost.com>