resolving localhost

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Mon Nov 8 14:49:20 UTC 2004

This issue has discussed many times and showed up many results.

my /etc/hosts is looking like this:

127.0.0.1       link    link.gwch.net   localhost

this means:
loopback-Interface host host.domain alias for the lo-interface.

it is important to understand, that the last is an alias for your localhostis absolutely needed, if you don't have
this anymore on this line, your system will fail to resolve localhost.

i do not need an entry, as i have my own dns-server running with dhcp and all resolv.conf's are maintained by dhcp
either....so i have always the right dns-server for my zones. and dhclient on my clients sends [host] to my
dns-server.

HTH
Roger