yum repo compatibility

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Mon Nov 8 15:46:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 10:27 -0500, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> A few tidbits:
>
> - thanks to Dag and others for having the discussion all over again on the
> user-oriented fedora-list.  Burying this stuff on the development side
> doesn't enlighten user very well.
>
> - I had really hoped that Fedora would inspire a more debian-like
> community around Red Hat.  It seems like there's a lot of interest in
> this, but also a lot of historical grief and bad blood.  That's
> encouraging and saddening simultaneously.<snip... and spelling fixed>

Agreed! Watching the debate this time, it seems that control over the
packages is more important to many of those involved than compatibility
and coordination for the sake of the community. As I read through it, an
old episode of the Murphy Brown TV show came to mind where Murphy
(played by Candice Bergen) said to two guys who were arguing, "Tell you
what - why don't both of you drop your pants, I'll go get a ruler and
we'll settle this like real men." I really hope everyone would be
willing to work together just a little bit more. I don't see truly
insurmountable technical problems here - just issues that come from
dealing with different people's agendas.

> - CPAN and Debian provide very good examples of doing what we're trying to
> do here and doing it very well.  Someone from one of those camps might be
> willing to moderate discussions between the competing parties so that
> something good could be achieved.  I'm sure those folks would be willing
> to answer questions about how they got past various problems.

That and some good project manager types in the community. Also, I think
some of this will be resolved if/when Fedora's CVS system is made
visible to the community. Sounds like Dag and a few others would also
appreciate this as it would make their lives a little simpler.

Cheers,

Chris

--
When the solution is simple,