FC2 and Tesco broadband

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Mon Nov 8 21:39:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 13:11, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Are they telling the
> > truth, or do they just not know if it will work with Linux?
>
> Unless they're like AOL and require something stupid, ignore the
> darkside only claim. They're pandering to the great unwashed (and
> regularly hosed!). I'm on Blueyonder (30% ish owned by the Dark Sith
> himself) and they email me occassionally to see why I don't use their
> software for help etc. I reply "I'm not using Windows or a Mac" - that
> really throws them!
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

I'm using Comcast and they said they only support Windows, but I could
just set my FC2 machine to DHCP and it worked fine.  They couldn't tell
me how they would ID me to the network, I'm assuming it's in the modem
since I told them not to install any software on my dual boot machine.
I did put a router / firewall machine in front of my machine as it's
open to the world via the cable.  Try www.freesco.org for a simple one
to set up, with a great list to ask quesions.  It will run on a 486 w/8
mb of ram from just the floppy.  I screwed an old mother board and power
supply to a piece of plywood with 2 nics with just a floppy drive and it
fits nicely under a corner table in my small apartment.

Tim..