BitTorrent-3.4.2 is not working

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 00:32:25 UTC 2004

> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:22:37 -0200
> From: Vinicius <cviniciusm at terra.com.br>
> Subject: BitTorrent-3.4.2 is not working.
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Hello,
>
> I have installed BitTorrent-3.4.2 in /usr/local/ and set up the mime
> type in Mozilla, but when I push the link to download the FC3, the
> dialog flash with no message and it disappear.
>

> "$ rpm -qa | grep python
> rpm-python-4.3.1-0.3
> gnome-python2-bonobo-2.0.0-4.1
> libxml2-python-2.6.15-2
> python-2.3.3-6
> python-devel-2.3.3-6
> python-optik-1.4.1-5
> gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-2.0.0-4.1
> gnome-python2-2.0.0-4.1
> gnome-python2-canvas-2.0.0-4.1"
>
> "$ rpm -qa | grep wxPython
> wxPythonGTK2-py2.3-2.5.2.8-FC2
> wxPythonGTK2-devel-2.5.2.8-FC2"

There are incompatibilities between BitTorrent and the current
development versions of wxPython.  From the wxPython web site:

NOTE: The links below are for the binaries and source for wxPython
2.5.2.8. The 2.5.x versions are considered unstable development
snapshots, meaning that the API is allowed to change from version to
version, not that it is any more buggy than satable versions, (although
it sometimes is.) Prior versions are at SourceForge. The latest version
from the stable (mostly frozen API) branch is 2.4.2.4

Apparently the API has changed enough so that BitTorrent does not work.

If you want to use a GUI BitTorrent client and have Java installed,
Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net) is a nice client.  I used it to
download FC3 today.

There is a plug-in available so that you can control it via a browser
window, but I've not tried that.

All in all, a nice client that appears to be built with Eclipse, the SWT
libraries, and Java.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .