Where is the iptables' log?

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Tue Nov 9 00:47:45 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 7:23 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> You need to configure the syslog daemon in /etc/syslog.conf to log your
> desired kern.* priority into a specific log file under /var/log.
> iptables itself does not log.

...but nothing is going to be logged unless you append to your netfilter
rules, for example:

-j LOG --log-level debug

and then you would find the netfilter log in the line you specified in
syslog.conf. In the above example, you we're specifyng severity: debug. Thus,
you'll need to make sure the log file you want is covered by kern.debug.

HTH,
Jorge