Fedora Core 3 CDs Fail Media Check

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 9 01:55:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Stormblaze wrote:

> Is anyone else having these problems? Is this a bug? The only other
> thing I can think of is that BOTH the drives in the other machine
> don't like the CDRs or something. It boots from them just fine though.

I noticed something wierd like this..

cd-1     burned at 4x
cd-2,3,4 burned at 8x

on machine-a  all media check fine (checked twice)
on machine-b  2,3,4 cds media check fine. (checked twice)
on machine-b  cd-1 failed media check a few times. (perhaps 4 failures - 2 success)

One one of the failuers - I noticed IO errors from /dev/hdb - on
switching to VT-4 (Fn-F4). Not sure if it is a problem with media or
or with 4x-burn. Plan to burn another one at 8x - and try..

Note: if md5sum match - there should be no need for a redownload..

Satish