How to kill a logged in user?

Mostafa Z. Afgani mostafa.afgani at world.iu-bremen.de
Tue Nov 9 13:22:43 UTC 2004

Marko Hausalo wrote:
| Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:
|
|> So, I would like to know if there is any way to kill those
|> sessions/users? I have tried googling for an answer but couldn't find
|> anything satisfactory.
|

| Check with who who is online:
| # who
| root     pts/49       Nov  9 13:10 (hostname.domain.xx)
|
| where you see that there's an connection to pts/49 in my case.
| Then make an ps command like this to see if there's an active
| shell:
| # ps ax | grep "pts/49"
| 32265 ?        S      0:00 sshd: root at pts/49
| 32267 pts/49   S      0:00 -bash
| 32663 pts/49   R      0:00 ps ax
| 32664 pts/49   R      0:00 grep pts/49
|
| Here you see there's active connections thru sshd and an shell
| -> 32267 pts/49   S      0:00 -bash
| then just as root give the command
| # kill -9 32267
| and the connection should drop. If there's no shell for the
| connection try killing the sshd or whatever process that is
| hanging there.
|
| Hope this helps and I hope I did understand your problem
| correctly!
|
| Regards,
|   Marko

Hi Marko,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Since I did a clean FC3 install last night
;) all the zombie processes are gone for now. I tried looking through

PS -A

before but I didn't find anything I could kill; but the next time I will
definitely try the 'ax' modifier.

Thanks again and yes, that was exactly what I was looking for. But I
thought there might be more _elegant_ solution like 'killuser' or
something else of that sort.

- -M