Undo a Dual Boot

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Nov 9 15:14:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:04:58AM -0600, Phil Scherzinger wrote:
> Work changed my computer.  It seems that the last person to use it install
> some flavor of Linux. When it boots, it goes to a prompt that looks like
> something grub will do. How can I completly remove Grubs influence on the
> boot process?

You need either Grub or Lilo to boot your system even if you just have one
Linux flavor installed and aren't dual booting. Grub is a lot more modern
and has significant advantages.

To get rid of it, all you need to do is replace the master boot record at
the beginning of your disk with a new one. (How to do this exactly depends
on what you're replacing it with.)