First thoughts on FC3

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Tue Nov 9 15:27:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 10:04 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Well, I want to say that everyone involved in getting FC3 out the door
> did a wonderful job.  I upgraded my laptop with no problems and have
> encountered only 2 minor issues.  On, the Redhat Alert icon doesn't show
> up on the task bar, and for some reason, none of the OOo apps want to
> open.  Otherwise, this was the smoothest upgrade I've had so far and
> keep up the good work.

Hear, Hear!

Once I prevailed in the "download wars" of swamped servers (finally
found a fast mirror in Europe), I burned an install DVD, archived the
data I wanted to keep and reloaded with a fresh install.

After running the updates, everything seems quite stable. One of my
clients will be loading a couple of new systems with it this afternoon
and my Linux class students will be loading it up tonight. That new 16x
DVD burner I bought is now getting a real workout... <grin>. Oh, and
thanks for fixing the non-root CD/DVD burning issue, even if it was the
kernel guys who started the problem with 2.6.8...!

What I have found that doesn't work quite right yet:

1) Syncing with my Palm requires constantly changing the permissions
on /dev/ttyUSB0 - even when performing the fix on the Udev page (at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/). The pilot sync program apparently
doesn't like that the permissions are set at 0660.

2) The Evolution 2.0 bug with certain HTML formatted e-mails is still
there. This is already in Bugzilla, so I'm not as worried about it (as
long as it gets fixed).

3) Switching to runlevel 3 (using the command: init 3) hangs the system.
I never get to a text-mode login prompt. Changing /etc/inittab to
default to runlevel 3 and rebooting works just fine.

Now... To load the newest NVidia drivers now from the script, or wait
for the livna.org folks (and others) to catch up... Hmmm...

Also, why is mplayerplug-in available on livna.org, but mplayer itself
seems to not be there, or am I just not focusing my eyes correctly on
the list of packages?

And finally, I know someone already mentioned it, but we *can* assume
that Firefox 1.0 will hit as an update RSN since it was released today,
right?...

Seriously, nice job to everyone who contributed! Big group pat on the
back is well deserved!

Cheers,

Chris

--