Instaliing mysql-administrator (newbie)

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Nov 9 23:50:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 12:49, David Hodge wrote:
> I have the .tar.gz file  The instructions say to "go to the directory
> you would like to have it installed (normally in /opt) and execute the
> following:
>
> >From the shell at the root prompt, how does one get to the /opt
> directory.
>
> I can see it in gnome, but have no idea how to get their from a shell
> prompt.

    Whoa.  You might want to do a re-think on this one.  If you don't
know how to change a directory, you probably want to stay away from a
tarball.

    MySQL, I'm afraid isn't Access/MS-SQL; there's no easy 'shell' for
stepping through the contents and modifying it until it's perfect;
you'll have to (generally) do a certain amount of text-editing to create
a schema and so forth.

    You might consider installing Webmin.  (Try "yum install webmin")
and pointing your browser to http://localhost:10000 as it's a really
nice kinda 'shell' of it's own, and part of what it can do is help you
maintain mysql databases.  It's pretty good, plus it gives you the
massive boost of having a whole bunch of tools for maintaining just
about everything else.

    Then, later, when you're more acclimated, you can do whatever ya
want.  Works this way for everyone, really...starting small, stretching
our legs.

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller