update to FC3 failed [x86_64]

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Nov 9 23:57:53 UTC 2004

Peter writes:

> After having made a test installation of FC3 onto a spare partition
> (everything went fine, nvidia worked,...) I decided to make an update of
> my work machine instead of performing a fresh installation and migrate
> my configuration.
>
> Update itself without problems. But booting into the updated system it
> is hanging at the message "configuring kernel parameters" (just after
> "inititalising hardware ....OK").
>
> Does someone know how to get it to work?

"Initializing hardware" is not a familiar message to me.  There is a message
"Checking for new hardware" that pops up right before kudzu runs.

A new version of kudzu falling to pieces, would not be a surprise.  Happened
before.  Will happen again.

Generally, if the kernel boots into userspace fine, and mounts root, but
then gets stuck, kudzu is the culprit 90% of the time.

Try booting into run level S, by editing the kernel boot line in grub.

You should get a shell prompt.  Then 'service kudzu off', and 'init 6'.  See
what happens.