Dual Boot with NTFS

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Nov 10 01:08:03 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 10.11.2004 schrieb Lotsa Cabo um 0:50:
> I have a laptop with XP on an NTFS primary partition.  I would like to
> install FC3 in the unused second half of the drive.  I am assuming the
> boot loader would end up being written to the MBR and the first
> partition (again, the first partition is NTFS).  Is this possible?

The grub bootloader will go (partly) into the MBR but not touch the NTFS
partition. The Fedora installation program will create on your unused
second half of the drive a partition hdb (partition 2) for /boot ( wich
will be used by grub and the kernel files), a partition hdc (partition
3) for / (root) and another partition for swap. So your NTFS partition
will be preserved.

Grub will recognize the windows partition and you have to choose between
win and linux during boot.

Depending on the capacity of your drive it may be a good idea to create
a separate partition for /home.

Peter