FC3 worthwile

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Wed Nov 10 01:54:13 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> <>Am Di, den 09.11.2004 schrieb Derick Schmidt um 22:52:
> Is it worthwile to install FC3.
>
> I have installed FC2 about 2 weeks ago and finaly have everything
> working fine.
>

>Are you a Linux / Fedora beginner? If yes, then I would think you should
>wait and get more common with FC2. This gives you time that new things
>with FC3 gets settled down - early birds always have the harder life ;)
>I don't say FC3 is broken or less usable than FC2. But as a list
>subscriber you will certainly see that many have questions and problems
>after the migration (update or fresh install).

Alex is right, FC2 won't be going legacy until FC4 is out.  I would
stick with FC2 for about a month or so until some good faq's are put up
about possible issues.  Try to learn your way around yum updates, get
familiar with everything.  FC2 is pretty stable now and all the issues
are well documented at this point and easily searched on google or the
archives.  It will probably be a few weeks before any really bad issues
with FC3 are known and fixed.

I guess it is a matter of where you want to be:
- Absolute bleeding edge - FC4 test
- Early Adopter - FC3
- Stable - FC2
- Really Stable - FC1 Legacy or RHE 3