cd media test during install

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 03:20:18 UTC 2004

psychoelmo wrote:
> thanks guys. i didnt go back far enough when browsing list mails.
>
> does this affect only the media check during install, or is there
> something special i need to do to ensure things like cd burning to an
> ide burner work ok?
>

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:08:54 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay <balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>>Search the archive.  The solution was posted yesterday under the "Fedora Core
>>>3 CDs Fail Media Check" thread.
>>
>>And there is also this..
>>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg00271.html
>>
>>Satish

The archives must be down. I did not get anything from the link.

Anyway, I finally got the iso images from the ftp site. I checked the
media without any installation parameter. THe first disk failed.

I then rebooted and tried Dave's suggestion and added
linux ide=nodma
and was able to verify all 4 discs with a pass.

I don't know if I got lucky with the passing mediacheck or if Dave is
zeroing in on the root cause of the problem.

Anyway, to prevent getting a full stack of coasters, can someone verify
that adding ide=nodma allows the cdroms to verify properly?

Jim