can't open display

phurd phurd at ualberta.ca
Wed Nov 10 05:16:56 UTC 2004

Hey All,

Up until unpgrading to FC3 I would ssh from machinea on machineb and then run
programs on machineb remotely from machinea.  I get confused by X
client/server language.  Since upgrading machinea from FC2 to FC3 I get errors
like:
: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
 Xt error: Can't open display:

So machinea is somehow refusing connections.  No errors are appearing in
/var/log/messages.  I've tried turning off the firewall on machinea, and I've
turned off the (well hidden) disallow TCP connections to X server option under
Login Screen Setup, and turned on XDMCP (I donno why, it just felt good).

None of this has helped.

I could use a hint.

-P.