FC3: sound, keyboard, mouse glitches

Thomas Richter tomri at mail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:53:41 UTC 2004

Hi there,

after a fresh install of FC3 yesterday, alsa does not seem to
work properly. Sometimes I get sound. But then for no apparent
reason, I get crackling noise, sometimes the sound is muted
entirely and starts playing again after some minutes.
I'm using XMMS with alsa plugin and also have selected alsa in
the KDE control center.

Then, even worse, my keyboard seems to fail from time to time.
Sometimes it helps to restart the x server.
At one occasion, even the mouse failed.
Had to press the button...

In my logs, I see frequent messages of the kind
   Kernel: agpgart: found AGP 2.0 device at...
   [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

Both my sound chip (via8235) and gfx card (radeon 9000) were
recognized correctly and seem to work (sometimes).

I get the impression that udev is playing tricks on me and is
disabling devices from time to time.

The same box worked fine with FC1 and before with RH7.3.

Anyone having similar problems?

br/Tom.

P.S. I have disabled SELinux during installation.