Serious trouble after updating from FC2 to FC3 [x86_64]

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Nov 10 13:49:40 UTC 2004

I encountered several problems after an update to FC3:

- nvidia driver

is not loaded automatically during system start. There were some
problems to install the current nvidia driver over the previous one,
because you had to use a patched version to get it running on a x86_64
system. Now the system hangs shortly after the message "Press I for
interactive ...". I can boot to rc3, load the nvidia kernel modul
manually and than switch to init 5. The alias in /etc/modprobe is
present. I completely deinstalled and reinstalled again - no joy.
Unfortunately no error entries in /var/log/messages. I checked the
nvidia readme.

No problem with nvidia with fresh (test) installation.

- Gnome panel

The update messed with the FC2 panel. Thereis a top panel now, but not
fully populated as with a fresh install. No problem to move things to
the desired position manually.

- FireFox

Mozilla 1.x is still the default browser. I can try to switch it via the
GUI preferred apps, but nothing changes.

- Quanta

is missing a helper program now (Tidy, html syntax check)

- Gnome

After login a get a message, the keyboard configuration for X and gnome
differ and I have to select one.

These are all minor issues, of course, besides the nvidia one. All of my
additionally installed programs work fine. Nevertheless, nice try, I may
have to perform a fresh install unless somebody knows how to correct the
issues (esp. nvidia).

Thanks
Peter