P4 Motherboard for File Server

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 10 14:51:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

>> I don't know why your requirements are so high.. I'm running a P3 300Mhz
>> 512 MB Ram as a file-server.
>>
>> 600GB IDE Storage
>
> I wondered too.

If you want to get over ~60MB/s agregate via nfs your server is going to
need a faster connection between you disk controllers, processor and your
NIC's than 32bit 33mhz pci.

At this point, your IO requirements tend to drive motherboard choice,
which in turn drives processor selection. If you need more than 2 x Gb ethernet
or more than 4 pci-x slots for controllers and additional nics then
obviously your number of choices narrows quite a bit.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu