Sound no go in FC3

Wayne Leutwyler wleutwyl at columbus.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 15:12:51 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 07:56 am, Wayne Leutwyler wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 06:42 am, Wayne Leutwyler wrote:
> > Sound card is found by system-config-soundcard but no test sounds play.
> >
> > Vendor:	Intel
> > Model:	Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
> > Module:	snd-intel8x0
> >
> > When I do the sound test I see the following messages in dmesg:
> >
> > codec_write 0: semaphore is not ready for register 0x2
> >
> > When I try to play a file with aplay I get this error:
> >
> > aplay: pcm_write:1115: write error: Input/output error
> >
> > I have checked alsamixer and both main and pcm are not muted. Sound was
> > not a issue in FC1 or FC2.
> >
> > Anyone seen this issue or know what I need to do to get sound back?
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Leutwyler, RHCT
> > Sys Admin / DBA
> > Columbus, OH. USA
>
> I did another install of FC3 on a Compaq Deskpro that has the same intel
> sound card. It too is having the same problems.
>
> I think I will pull down the kernel source and build a custom kernel. See
> where that takes me. I will keep the list updated.
>
> --
> Wayne Leutwyler, RHCT
> Sys Admin / DBA
> Columbus, OH. USA

Ok I did a custom kernel from source and still no sound same errors and all.
So I went back to FC2 and sound is working. Looks like some type of bug in
FC3. Shall reinstall and wait for a fix to come out.

I will check and see if its been reported at Bugzilla if not I shall open a
bug report.

--
Wayne Leutwyler, RHCT
Sys Admin / DBA