FC3 - system unbootable - solved

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 10 18:01:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Jogl, Gerwald wrote:

> Excellent,
>
> booted with the rescue cd, changed to init 3 and removed rhgb from grub.conf.

you didn't need to do the 'resuce cd'. During boot - when you get the
grub menu - you could have edited (e) the options there - and
continued boot (b) - with any modifications.

> New the system boots. this is an nvidia system, for some reason
> there are no kernel sources installed.  I had them on FC3
> Test1... so I'll have to locate these and hope to get the nvidia
> driver up.

There are so many threads on this topic - you might want to check
them. Summary: you don't need kernel-source or equivalent package to
install nvidia driver. (required kernel-headers are now part of
kernel.rpm)

> what does rhgb do? should I put that back in after the X configuration is done?

RHGB => RedhHat Graphical Boot.

Once your X is configured properly - it will work - so you can put it
back if you like it.

Satish