Mail client - run a program when receive an email

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 18:58:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:51, Hardy Merrill wrote:

> I'm thinking of creating a football pool email app - I
> know this has probably been done a thousand times
> before, but I'd like to do it myself just for fun.
>
> My thought is to send members of the pool an email
> listing all the games, and having each member respond
> to the email with their picks.  My app would take in
> each email and run a script - the script would parse
> the email and ... etc.
>
> So the answer to your question is I just need the
> script to analyze the email - at this point I don't
> think the script needs to modify the email nor pass it
> on.  Actually, I do want the email "filtered" (or
> sent) to a "football pool" mail box, so the
> requirement is:
>    1. pipe email to script, and
>    2. send email to a specific mailbox
>
> I plan to install and try Evolution.  If I can't get
> that to work I'll go the fetchmail/procmail/perl
> script/mutt route.

Ah!  Then evolutions filter capability should be just fine.  In the same
filter after you have piped the message to the external program you can
move the message to another folder to archive it.

Should be very easy to do.

Other email clients probably have similar capabilities.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Watch all-night Donna Reed reruns until your mind resembles oatmeal.