FC3 and evdev driver

Frank FIR at Frank.net
Wed Nov 10 19:57:06 UTC 2004

In tryping to get my Synaptics touchpad working I notice the following
statement at
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html#TroubleShoot :

          How do I use this driver with Linux kernel 2.6.x?

    You need to have the "evdev" driver loaded or compiled into the
    kernel (CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV). Set the "Protocol" parameter in the X
    configuration file to "auto-dev". Also, if you set the "Device"
    parameter to "/dev/psaux", the same X configuration file should work
    for a 2.4.x kernel.

Is this true?

lsmod | grep evdev displays nothing.  Does this mean that I am not
running this driver?  Do I need to recompile the kernel to get it?  (I
can't believe that people are recompiling to kernel to get this common
type of touchpad working).

Frank.