FC3, Linuxant, stock kernel (2.6.9-1.667) and 4k stacks

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 20:33:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:16, Don Levey wrote:

> > The DWL-G650 card I have uses a prism54 chip set not atheros.  As
> > such I don't think the madwifi drivers will work.  There is the
> > prism54.org driver that I have been using with FC2.
> >
> > I am hoping that either this is built into FC3 or that driver will
> > work when I do the upgrade.
> >
> Which hardware rev are you using?  D-Link claims that my rev B4 is the
> Atheros chip, and the A revisions are Prism chips.
>
>  -Don

I have an A1 rev card.  Would be nice if they made up their minds as to
which chip set to use!  :)

This is one area that Linux in general (not just Fedora) has major
problems.  There should be some kind of industry standard abstraction
layer for communicating with wireless cards.  That way it would not
matter what chip set you had on the card, it would just work.

And then the manufacturers seem to just grab what ever chip set is
cheapest this week and put it out with the same model numbers.  That
just confuses the whole issue.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length.