squirrelmail help.

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 21:56:21 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>I being defeated by the task of installing squirrelmail yet people
>use it so it must be possible. So two simple questions to start with:
>1. Is there anywhere that really explains how the installation is to
>be done in more detail then the explanation in the INSTALL file
>which is inadequate to say the least.
> 2. In the instructions it says to point your browser to the
> squirrelmail directory. This turns out to be hard since I don't know
> which directory is to be considered as the squirrelmail directory.
> What files are supposed to be in that directory when the browser
> transfers control to it? I have tried both the rpm and the tar-ball
> and both have confused me on that point.

oops,
this was done in 2 minutes
you need a web- and imap-server, allow cookies in your browser
(cyrus-imapd need a litte bit more)

# rpm -q squirrelmail httpd dovecot
squirrelmail-1.4.3a-5
httpd-2.0.52-3
dovecot-0.99.11-1.FC3.4

--------
# cat /etc/httpd/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf
#
# SquirrelMail is a webmail package written in PHP.
#

Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
-------

# service httpd start
# service dovecot start

$ firefox 127.0.0.1/webmail

for further configuration

# cd /usr/share/squirrelmail/config/
# ./conf.pl

SquirrelMail Configuration : Read: config.php (1.4.0)
Main Menu --
1.  Organization Preferences
2.  Server Settings
3.  Folder Defaults
4.  General Options
5.  Themes
6.  Address Books (LDAP)
7.  Message of the Day (MOTD)
8.  Plugins
9.  Database

D.  Set pre-defined settings for specific IMAP servers

C.  Turn color off
S   Save data
Q   Quit

Command >>