NVIDIA Again

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 22:20:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 16:49 -0500, Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
>     Ok, has anyone installed the latest 6629 driver, rebooted, and had
> eveything come up fine? I'm curious if this is a Core 3 issue, a kernel
> issue, or a 'just me' issue. I'm thinking of moving back to the 6111
> driver but I can't install that without the kernel sources correct? I
> tried modprobing 'nvidia' but that doesnt change the driver I'm using,
> and I still don't have accelerated 3D. Anyone know what's going on here?
> I'm real impressed with core3 so far but if I can't have ant apotlight
> screensaver what good is it :-P?
> Jesse Jarzynka
> Cyber Source
> http://www.thecybersource.com

Which card do you have?  The 6629 driver does not work on Riva TNT2
cards, but works fine (for me at least) on a GF4 440MX and GF 5200.
Driver 6111 (patched) works fine for all 3 cards listed above.  And
neither driver requires the kernel source to be present.  You _will_
need to read the Release Notes (search for nvidia and udev) to get
everything working smoothly.

What is the output of: lsmod|grep nvidia ?  You should see something
like:
nvidia               3473436  22

If so, you probably forgot to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to specify the
binary nvidia driver.

Regards,
Kevin Freeman