nVidia

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 00:57:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:12:05 -0500, Jorge L.Martin C.
<explorer at cwpanama.net> wrote:
> Hi guys I have a big problem here, I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100
> with nVidia Go chipset.

Which chipset?

> Here is my problem,, back to kernel 2.4 I use to have a black line at
> the right part of my screen and a real diffused screen when I firstly
> install nVidia Driver, I could solve the problem adding SoftEDIDs=2 into
> my modules.conf file, that was with the old 1.0-4496 nVidia Driver, the

Hm... Sounds like maybe a resolution or frequency problem.  What
resolution are you running?  What is the native resolution of you LCD
screen (the resolution where each pixel is a physical pixel)?  My
laptop is widescreen and not a natuarally supported resolution.  Is
this black line part of the screen?  That is, can you move the mouse
beyond the border (and not see it, possibly), or does it stop there
(with the left edge showing)?  Does you screen extend beyond the
monitor to the left?

> Fedora turns into 2.6 Kernel so I find myself forced to use the new
> nVidia drivers (now 1.0-6629) my problem now is that I can't fix the

I use the 6111 driver.  I think there have been problems with the
latest driver (6629).  Unless you have a GeForce 6 (which you
obviously don't), it's probably best to stick with the oldest version
that works for you.  Newer drivers are optimized for the newer cards
and could possibly reduce performance for older ones.

> black line problem with the new driver, I even try editing the os-
> registry.c file setting the NVreg_SoftEDIDs to 0 and NVreg_Mobile to 2
> (the values that solve driver 4496 problem) but nothing.
>
> I've use my system without nVidia Driver since FC2 but now with FC3 I re
> take the challenge so if anyone have any clue that can guide me to
> install the drive I will be really greatfull.

Be sure to check the release notes and other posts on the list.  There
has been a lot of chatter about nVidia cards and the new udev system.

> Regards.
> JMartin

Jonathan