FC3 random ACPI related false shutdowns

meherenow at darkglobe.org meherenow at darkglobe.org
Thu Nov 11 09:37:53 UTC 2004

I'm using a fresh install of FC3 on a machine that was previously running FC1
and later FC3T2

I'm getting ACPI induced shutdowns at an irritating frequency due to what looks
like the wrong sensor being monitored

watch cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature

shows indicated temperatures ranging from 22 to 60+ at random, and eventually it
indicates a temperature over which the ACPI induced shutdown is called.

What can I do to point the acpi software at the correct sensor on the
motherboard?

I have verified that the hardware is still good, and didn't fail during install,
fans are still howling and cooling as I'd expect so it's definatly not that.

Here is one particular snapshot of the acpi info, and some salient points from
kudzu.

[dave at luggage ~]$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/
cooling_mode       polling_frequency  state              temperature
trip_points
[dave at luggage ~]$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/*
cooling mode:   active
<polling disabled>
state:                   ok
temperature:             43 C
critical (S5):           70 C
passive:                 68 C: tc1=4 tc2=3 tsp=60 devices=0x41fee6c0
active[0]:               68 C: devices=0x039b7a00

[dave at luggage ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
-
class: OTHER
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge"
vendorId: 1106
deviceId: 3177
subVendorId: 1019
subDeviceId: 1841
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev: 11
pcifn:  0
-
class: OTHER
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]"
vendorId: 1106
deviceId: b099
subVendorId: 0000
subDeviceId: 0000
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev:  1
pcifn:  0
-
class: OTHER
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]"
vendorId: 1106
deviceId: 3099
subVendorId: 1019
subDeviceId: 1841