yum update was ineffective?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 13:12:47 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:
> My RHN applet indicated there were 7 updates to be installed, so as
> root, I ran
>
> yum update
>
> It went through the paces, eventually downloading 10 packages after
> several mirror changes to get the total set.  It then presented me with
> the command line prompt.

You know, it would have been helpful if we could have checked yum's
output.

>  Apparently it did not do an update, since RHN
> still indicated a need to update.  I ran up2date and it went through the
> normal process, downloading and installing the updates.  RHN applet is
> now blue again.
>
> Previously I remember that after a yum update, the RHN applet would turn
> blue, and it it didn't, asking it to check for updates would satisfy it.
>
> What happened?

Difficult to tell, now.

In FC3, both up2date and yum use random mirrors: they may well use
different random mirrors, one of which (the one yum used) is a bit
behind on synchronisation.

Or it's possible that you didn't spot an error message.

Did yum actually install those packages? Check /var/log/yum.log.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | To children ardent for some desperate glory,