FC2 granting rw on FAT32 dir

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Thu Nov 11 14:23:01 UTC 2004

I simply can't work out how to get read/write permission to all member
of the 'common' group. What I want is:
hda1 ro to group=common (WinXP)
hda6 rw to group=common (SharedFiles)

 From what I can tell root currently has ownership and group is also
root, no-one else can write.

In FC2 when i go into /mnt/SharedFiles > Properties > Permissions and
try to change anything i get the message

"The group could not be changed
- You do not have the permissions necessary to change the group of
'SharedFiles' ".

Seems absurd - as I'm logged in as root, and own the partition/directory.

In XP(SP2) if i look at 'E:\ > Properties > Sharing' both the 'Share
this folder on a network' (i have a local network) and 'Allow network
users to change my files' are ticked.

My fstab file looks like this:

# device name      mount point             fs-type options
dump-freq pass-num

LABEL=/            /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

none               /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none               /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none               /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda8          swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom         /mnt/cdrom              auto
noauto,user,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             auto
noauto,user,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
rw,noauto,user,sync,owner,kudzu 0 0

/dev/hda1          /mnt/WinXP              ntfs    user,rw 0 0
/dev/hda6          /mnt/SharedFiles        vfat    user,rw 0 0

I looked at several sites on how to edit the fstab file but can't seem
to get it working right. I'd love some help.

Duncan