Is ASUS A7N8X-VM suitable for a webserver + mail server + samba server?

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Thu Nov 11 19:13:04 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:13:38AM -0000, VJ wrote:
>

>>    I am thinking of getting rid if my old Gigabyte GA7DXR and want to put
>>this mobo in a small case(as A7N8X-VM is a microATX mobo). Is this suitable
>>to run webserver + mail server? Also I am using it as TV recording station
>>with a PVR350 + MythTV setup. Samba is used for serving songs/recorded
>>programs to other computer(s).
>>

>Sure. Why wouldn't it be?

Have all the nforce2 problems been ironed out? Take a look at:

http://atlas.et.tudelft.nl/verwei90/nforce2/

which is fairly old. These problems may have been addressed in more
recent kernels. I am running a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 mobo with the
nforce2 chipset, and I have not had the same problems. My mobo does not
have the nforce2 NIC (it has a RealTek 8169 NIC), and I have disabled
the RealTek NIC and am using an Intel PCI NIC.

If you are going to run an Athlon with a 400MHz FSB, you will need
something like the nforce2 chipset, or newer. If you plan to use an
Athlon with a 333MHz FSB or less, you might be better off to go with
something like a VIA 400 chipset, which has more mature support.