FC3 - [X]emacs/Gtk1 apps and Bitstream Vera Fonts

Thu Nov 11 21:37:33 UTC 2004

Hi all,

After a clean install of FC3 from the DVD ISO earlier this week, I noted
one issue with respect to the Bitstream Vera fonts.

I typically use the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font in [X]emacs and some
gtk1 apps, because I find them to be cleaner when used in apps that do
not support xft/anti-aliasing. I typically set this up in my custom.el
or .emacs files, as opposed to using ~/.Xresources.

In the past under FC1 and FC2 I did not have to do anything in
particular (that I can recall) to get these fonts to be recognized by
the aforementioned apps.

After the FC3 installation, none of the Bitstream Vera fonts were picked
up by any of the above apps including xfontsel. They are available in
GTK2 apps, however.

I should note that the Bitstream Charter font was available in the above
apps, just not the other members of the Bitstream Vera clan.

After much head scratching and help from Jon Baron, who I cc: here, I
finally went through the manual procedure listed in the release notes,
ending up in the addition of the path to the Bitstream fonts
in /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera being added to the /etc/X11/fs/config
file.

The BV Mono font is now available in the above apps, including xfontsel.

Shouldn't this have happened automatically during the installation, as
opposed to going through a procedure that is ostensibly for "new fonts"
being added to an existing system?

If I am missing something here, let me know and of course, if there is a
bug here, let me know and I will post it to Bugzilla.

Thanks,

Marc Schwartz