do I need SELinux?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 05:45:14 UTC 2004

On 11/11/2004 06:55:38 PM, nicholas manojlovic wrote:
> Installing FC3 for desktop purposes (surfing the net, email,
> programming
> enthusiasm etc) - I have virtually no understanding of SELinux and
> how
> it is applied. Do I want it? Do I need it? Would I be better off
> without
> it?
>
> Im fairly sure Im not the targetted audience, but Ive always viewed
> Fedora as being a fairly well-suited desktop machine - obviously
> they've
> included it for a reason.
>
> Any thoughts?

Don't bother with it yet imho.
There are still places where it gets in the users way.
RH/Fedora is pushing it because it is extremely useful on a server, and
by pushing it, the kinds of problems that their enterprise users will
have can be discovered.

But there are still imho too many cases where it gets in the way of
what the desktop user wants to do for me personally to recommend it to
desktop users. You can see this in posts on the test list. Some of that
may be user error, but it still gets in the way sometimes. Maybe by
FC4.