[FC3] synaptics touchpad doesn't work at all

Wayne Leutwyler wleutwyl at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 15:21:42 UTC 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 10:07 am, Julian Mayer wrote:
> hello all
> i just installed FC3 on a Medion 5400 laptop (which has a synaptics
> touchpad)
> during the install i used a external USB mouse but since it only has
> one button i wanted to get the touchpad to work (which doesn't work per
> default).
>
> it seems it is really impossible to get the synaptics touchpad working
> on FC3, since kudzu doesn't see it at all:
> "python
>
>  >>> import kudzu
>  >>> kudzu.probe(kudzu.CLASS_MOUSE,kudzu.BUS_UNSPEC,kudzu.PROBE_ALL)
>
> []
>
>  >>> kudzu.probe(kudzu.CLASS_UNSPEC,kudzu.BUS_PSAUX,kudzu.PROBE_ALL)
>
> [Desc:           AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
> Driver:         ignore
> Device:         None
> ]"
>
> nevertheless i've tried the following:
> 1. adding
>   "Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier "Mouse0"
>   Driver "mouse"
>   Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
>   Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>   Option "Emulate3Buttons"
>   Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
>   Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
>   EndSection"
> to my Xorg.conf, but since /dev/psaux doesn't exist, it doesnt work
>
> i also tried doing cd /dev;./MAKEDEV psaux
>   but when i did "cat psaux" it says something like "no applicable
> device found"
>
> in /dev/input only mice and mouse0 exist, which both only respond to
> the external mouse...
>
> if i disconnect the USB mouse, mouse0 disappears...and no input source
> is left
>
> 2. i've also tried adding "psmouse.proto=imps" to the grup.conf, no
> success
>
> 3. select the "synaptics touchpad" in system-config-mouse and do a
> system-config-display --reconfig
>
> by reading fedoraforums.org posts i know that the touchpad worked with
> FC2, whats the deal?
> can anyone help me?
> thanks, julian

Here is the synaptics section from my xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier		"Synaptics"
	Driver		"synaptics"
	Option		"Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol" "auto-dev"
	Option		"Emulater3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Check the ServerLayout Section and make sure you have:

InputDevice "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"

In the Module section make sure that you have:

Load "synaptics"

Hope this helps.
--
Wayne Leutwyler, RHCT