FC3, madwifi and kudzu - advice needed

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 12 15:59:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Peter wrote:

> I just installed the current version of madwifi (compiled with a lot of
> warnings, but worked)
>
> It worked fine until I rebootet the machine. Kudzu came up, had detected
> a new device to configure. OK, I let it do its job.  But afterward I had
> no joy with ath0. First I had to correct a wrong entry eth1 in
> /etc/modprobe.conf (as usual). Then, on system start, ath0 is loaded,
> the LED is on, but as soon as the interface is configured the LED goes
> off and I can't get ath0 to work anymore.
>
> OK, I made a fresh install of FC3, installed madwifi, everything works
> until a reboot and kudzu .... same scenario again.
>
> Question: Is it save to deinstall or deactivate Kudzu after the initial
> installation? Or is Kudzu needed for a running system (e.g. detecting
> memory sticks inserted)?

Don't bother disabling kudzu - Just fix the bad things it does.

I guess you fixed the first problem in /etc/modprobe.conf (eth1 -> ath0)

The second problem is - the config files created by kudzu are
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 - instead of
ifcfg-ath0,keys-ath0
- so move the files *eth1 -> *ath0
- edit ifcfg-ath0 - and make change it to use DEVICE=ath0
- if necessary run 'neat' to fix the wireless settings.

The third thing you can do is edit /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig - and
change eth1 -> ath0

> Question: Is it worth a bugzilla entry? Madwifi is not part of Fedora
> distribution and it still 0.9.... but atheros chipsets are widely used.

I do hqope redhat tools work properly with 'ath0' - so not a bad idea to bugzilla.

Satish