FC3 and NVIDIA

Glen Staufer alaxsxaq at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 16:12:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:02:51 +0000, Bruno Santos
<bvsantos at hal.min-saude.pt> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Ive recently installed FC3 and im very pleased with it ! Is very nice.
> Ive tryed to install NVIDIA drivers, and they install well, but,
> after doing the changes in the xorg.conf,
> my computer hangs in the boot process.
> after initializing some devices , it hangs...
> any help or sugestion ??

Ran into this same problem.  If I recall correctly, someone posted the
solution here.  You need to follow these steps:

1) boot into runlevel 3 (edit the grub menu and append a '3' to the
boot line for Fedora
2) login as root
3) type modprobe nvidia to produce device files in /dev
4) copy the nvidia* files from /dev to /etc/udev/devices
5) type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

That should fix it.  Did for me.

Glenn