General proc. for uninstalling software?

Hans Troost fedora at troost.tweakdsl.nl
Fri Nov 12 16:13:48 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Since about a month a changed from Bill's OS's to Fedora, so I'm relatively
new, but in the mean time learned a lot, thanks to this community.

Fedora version: FC2 2.6.5-1.358smp

So now with some experience I'm ready to make some personal choices about the
program I will use in the future. So which one for mailing, one specific
web-browser etc. etc.
Since I'm working in the IT (but new to UNIX), I always try to keep my
computers as clean as possible, so I now want to remove the software I do not
longer use.

Is there a general way to "uninstall" software and are there pitfalls I have
to avoid (and how).

Examples: I want to remove the whole XIMIAN stuff, I am happy with KMAIL, I
want to remove the whole MOZILLA-suite and replace it by a web-browser-only
program like Firefox and I want to remove a lot of other software I just
installed to try and no longer use.

My only installation experience up to now is with YUM (used update, install
and search) and RPM -IVH. Not further experience nor in general nor with
these programs.

--
With kind regards,

Hans Troost
e-mail: fedora + chr(64) + troost.tweakdsl.nl